POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Reference Ideas : POV-Ray Reference Ideas Server Time
2 Aug 2024 06:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Reference Ideas
From: Renderdog
Date: 3 Jan 2005 13:40:00
Message: <web.41d990e41ab32ed4832e48f90@news.povray.org>
Probably time for a thread of its own...

> What's keeping us from starting a Wiki?
> Or better, continuing the existing one at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POV-ray
>
> We only need to agree on a useful lay-out and the thing can grow on its own.

There are already a lot of excellent tutorials out there.
Personally, the official documentation provides plenty of
useful information. More illustrations and color images like
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/addon/insert65.htm
would probably help. The TAG questions and tips pages
are also great.

What I'd like is a quick and in-depth reference for textures,
effects, methods, etc. A tool that would reduce the number
of test renders POV-Ray users have to make to get what they're
trying for. A simple picture with the POV-Ray code right
next to it, well-commented so it can be understood and
easily modified. All under a common format so it would be
fast and easy to navigate. And up-to-date with the latest
techniques and tricks.

Mike Williams' isosurface tutorial has proved to be incredibly
valuable to me
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/index.htm
and it would be nice to have that kind of reference for all
of POV-Ray's features.

Great ideas like
http://book.povworld.org/
and
http://objects.povworld.org/
often stagnate due to lack of interest or the person driving
it drifts away from POV-Ray, so it would require someone
with an ability to stick to it over the years, and it would
be better if it was officially maintained so it's always
available.

Later this year I may be available to start a project like
this, should others not get it rolling before then.

-Mark Slone